Tuesday, November 1, 2011

one month; no alcohol

today is the first day of november. it is my second day of a month goal to not imbibe any alcohol. so far, i am not impressed with the life of a sober person. sure, it was bearable. many things are. waiting at the dmv for instance. 

i've had this goal many times. the longest i go is about two weeks. i like excuses to drink. any reason will do. 

“That's the problem with drinking, I thought, as I poured myself a drink. If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen.” 
― Charles Bukowski

i wanted to think of many humorous reasons to avoid sobriety but i couldn't. i hope the quote will suffice. i honestly feel less inspired since i am not drinking. not that i believe i need alcohol to spark my creativity. it's just that the world seems a bit more amazing when drunk. ugly people become more attractive. bores tend to develop a personality. and the funny people become hilarious. 

maybe it is just because after seven years of heavy drinking without too many breaks, i just need to adjust to the thought of 30 days without alcohol (thank god i didn't pick a month with 31 days). i heard that the first three days of quitting something is the hardest. two weeks ago i was on antibiotics for five days. i managed to avoid alcohol for four whole days. so maybe for me personally, the first two weeks are the hardest, or the first month is the hardest. who knows, we shall soon find out. 

i drew a terrible comic today, i hope i can think of funnier ones during this stint. when i was younger i didn't drink at all and when i look back on the artwork i did, i am very impressed with myself. i wonder if after i get over the initial shock of it all, maybe my art will prosper.

i will now upload a drawing from my drunken days, to remember the old me:
i think he looks cool....

No comments:

Post a Comment